Turkish UN judge gets over 7 years for FETO membership
A Turkish judge has been sentenced to over seven years in prison for being a member of the Fetullah Terrorist Organization (FETO) which Ankara accuses of being behind last July's coup attempt, a judicial source said Wednesday, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
Ankara’s 16th High Criminal Court sentenced Aydin Sefa Akay -- who was on a UN panel hearing the Rwandan genocide case -- to seven years and six months in jail, the source said on condition of anonymity due to restrictions on talking to the media.
Akay -- who was remanded last year as part of a FETO probe in the aftermath of the failed coup attempt-- denied accusations and demanded an acquittal during the hearing.
The court also ruled Akay be released under judicial supervision and be banned from traveling abroad until the sentence was declared final.
According to the government, FETO and its U.S.-based leader Fetullah Gulen orchestrated the defeated coup of July 2016, which left 250 people martyred and nearly 2,200 injured.
Ankara accuses FETO of being behind a long-running campaign to overthrow the state through the infiltration of Turkish institutions, particularly the military, police and judiciary.
Since the defeated coup, operations have been ongoing in the military, police and judiciary, as well as in state institutions across the country, to arrest suspects with alleged links to FETO.
Related news releases
- 21.08.2017Spanish police arrest main Barcelona attack suspect
- 20.08.2017Train station in France evacuated over terror alarm
- 19.08.2017Turkey says no country can combat terrorism alone
- 19.08.2017Muslims hold demonstration against terrorism in Barcelona
- 19.08.2017Turkish origin German writer whose works focus on so-called “Armenian genocide” detained in Spain
- 19.08.2017Georgia’s opposition unity proposes renaming Moscow Avenue in Tbilisi
- 19.08.2017Barcelona van attacker among five killed by police
- 19.08.2017Stabbing attack reported near Dusseldorf: 1 killed, police seeking perpetrator
- 18.08.2017Bomb blast martyrs Turkish guard in southeast
- 18.08.2017Erdogan calls on Turks in Germany not to vote for Merkel, Schulz, Greens
- 18.08.2017Seven dead as tractor carrying workers overturns in Turkey
- 18.08.2017Police detain third suspect in Catalonia terror attacks
- 18.08.2017Barcelona terror attack: CIA warned police two months ago Las Ramblas could be target of terrorist attack
- 18.08.2017Citizens of 18 countries suffered in Barcelona attack
- 18.08.2017Another terror attack committed in Spain, five suspects killed
- 18.08.2017US drone crashes in southern Turkey
- 18.08.2017Driss Oukabir who rented Barcelona attack van reports theft of documents
- 17.08.2017ISIL claims responsibility for Barcelona van attack
- 17.08.2017Three police officers 'hit by car' at road block near attack scene
- 17.08.2017Suspect in Barcelona terrorist attack reportedly arrested
- 17.08.2017New round of Syria peace talks in Geneva may start on Sept. 7 - Cairo Group
- 17.08.2017Police identify person behind Barcelona terror attack - UPDATED
- 16.08.2017Merkel opposes EU-Turkey divorce
- 16.08.2017Turkey: 41 people arrested over suspected PKK links
- 16.08.2017Next special operation held in Georgian settlement where Azerbaijanis live
- 16.08.2017Greece asks EU help to tackle forest fires
- 15.08.2017Tree falls in Portugal's Madeira Island, killing 12
- 15.08.2017Turkish, French presidents talk on phone
- 15.08.2017Georgia’s Interior Ministry issues statement on special operation in settlement where Azerbaijanis live
- 15.08.2017Germany's Merkel says open to all coalition options
- 15.08.2017Car plows into crowd at cafe outside Paris
- 14.08.2017Georgia intends to fully use its transit potential
- 14.08.2017Georgia’s ambassador to France robbed
- 14.08.2017Georgia’s foreign trade turnover increases 13%
- 13.08.2017Home politics leads criticism of Turkey, Erdogan says
- 13.08.2017Turkey mourns teenage boy martyred by PKK
- 12.08.2017In the south of Poland overturned a passenger bus, 28 injure
- 12.08.2017Turkish president expects improvement of Turkey-Germany relations after Bundestag election
- 12.08.2017Relations with Germany to normalize after Bundestag elections, Erdoğan says
- 12.08.2017Education level at Azerbaijani schools in Georgia rated low
- 15.06.20175 PKK terrorists killed in eastern Turkey
- 15.06.2017Soldier dies of wounds at hospital in eastern Turkey
- 15.06.2017EP lifts parliamentary immunity for Jean-Marie Le Pen
- 14.06.2017London fire: Six confirmed dead as Grenfell Tower engulfed - UPDATED-2
- 14.06.201727-story apartment building on fire in western London
- 14.06.2017Macron: EU door still open to UK