UK police report on 2 people suffered from 'unknown substance' in Amesbury
Two people have been hospitalized fighting for their lives after being exposed to an unknown substance in the town of Amesbury, located near both notorious Salisbury and Porton Down chemical laboratory, APA reports quoting Sputnik.
Several scenes have reportedly been cordoned off as a precaution in Amesbury, UK, after two people have been hospitalized in a critical condition.
The man and woman in, both in their 40s, were in a critical condition at Salisbury District Hospital, Wiltshire Police said. The pair were found unconscious at Muggleton Road, Amesbury, on Saturday evening and it was initially believed they were under the effect of contaminated drugs.
"However, further testing is now ongoing to establish the substance which led to these patients becoming ill and we are keeping an open mind as to the circumstances surrounding this incident," police said.
Public Health England (PHE) claims there is no "significant health risk: to the wider public, however, but this status is being constantly re-assesed. There was an increased police presence in and around Amesbury and Salisbury, the Telegraph reports.
Salisbury District Hospital is reportedly "open as usual" and officials advise people not to postpone their routine appointments unless they are contacted to do otherwise.
Amesbury is located some 6 kilometers north of the notorious Porton Down chemical weapons research facility, which is slightly closer than the town of Salisbury, where former Russian spy Sergei Skripal and his daughter Yulia were found poisoned two months ago.
Related news releases
- 21.07.20182 dead after migrant boat capsizes in NW Turkey
- 21.07.2018Man arrested after knife attack on German bus
- 20.07.2018Germany bus incident: At least 14 injured in suspected knife attack in Lubeck
- 19.07.2018Armenian deputy PM: Problem in Upper Lars hinders export of goods
- 19.07.2018Turkey lifts two-year-old state of emergency
- 17.07.2018Obama warns against 'strongman politics' in speech after Trump news conference
- 16.07.20182 die in France during World Cup celebrations
- 16.07.2018Man ejected from room ahead of Trump-Putin press briefing
- 16.07.2018Mogherini: Summit of EU, EaP countries to be held October 15
- 16.07.2018Putin, Trump hold one-on-one meeting
- 16.07.2018Apartment sold in Bitcoin in Batumi
- 16.07.2018Putin-Trump summit gets underway in Helsinki - UPDATED
- 16.07.2018Mogherini: EU is planning to increase support to Eastern Partnership
- 15.07.2018Norway reconfirms commitment to NATO defense spending target
- 15.07.2018Georgian parliament expresses confidence in the renewed government
- 14.07.2018Putin, Erdogan discuss joint steps in Syria
- 14.07.2018Turkish, Russian presidents discuss TurkStream, Akkuyu project over the phone - UPDATED
- 14.07.2018Opposition party members dump coffin outside Georgian parliament
- 14.07.2018Forest fire in Georgia’s Svaneti extinguished
- 14.07.2018Malta rebuffs Italy, says not responsible for migrant boat
- 14.07.2018Word 'Russia' goes unspoken as Mattis meets Balkan defense chiefs
- 13.07.2018Tens of thousands march through London in anti-Trump protests
- 12.07.2018Turkey: Binali Yildirim elected parliament speaker
- 12.07.2018Trump says he will raise election meddling with Putin at summit
- 12.07.2018Trump says NATO allies agreed to boost defense spending after his pressure
- 12.07.2018Helicopter crashes in Georgia, 5 people injured
- 12.07.2018SG Stoltenberg: NATO’s door remains open for Georgia
- 12.07.2018Czech government wins confidence vote in Parliament
- 12.07.2018NATO formally invites Macedonia to join alliance
- 12.07.2018Putin, Netanyahu meet in Moscow
- 12.07.2018Turkish airstrikes ‘neutralize’ 17 terrorists
- 11.07.2018NATO allies vow to meet spending targets after Trump criticism
- 11.07.2018Georgia names new prosecutor general
- 11.07.2018George Tsereteli elected OSCE PA president
- 11.07.2018EU appoints new ambassador to Georgia
- 11.07.2018Trump lashes out at Germany as ‘captive of Russia’
- 11.07.2018French military helicopter crashes in Abidjan
- 11.07.2018Britain to double Western Balkans funding, security staff
- 10.07.2018Putin, Netanyahu to mull Israel-Palestine issue, Syrian conflict
- 10.07.2018Turkish President Erdogan unveils 16-minister cabinet
- 04.07.2018Germany increases financial support to Eastern Partnership states
- 04.07.2018Head of government of Georgia’s Adjara steps down
- 05.07.2018Two Britons poisoned with Novichok nerve agent near where Russian spy was struck down
- 01.07.2018BMW says US tariffs on EU cars may hit investment there
- 01.07.2018Spain to accept new vessel with migrants that was denied entry to Italy
- 01.07.2018EU summit fails to find solution to Europe migration crisis - upper house speaker