Winter storm hits France with strong gusts, heavy rain
At least one person is dead and 11 people were wounded Wednesday by a powerful storm buffeting France with violent winds of up to 160 kilometers an hour (99 miles per hour), leaving thousands of households without power and throwing transportation into chaos, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
Storm Eleanor’s sole reported casualty to date died due to a tree falling at a resort in the French Alps, according to French broadcaster BFMTV.
According to the Interior Ministry, the seriously injured include a man who fell off his roof, a woman who was hit by a block of cement, and a motorcyclist who crashed into a tree.
The national weather agency has extended its top-level Orange alert for winds of up to 200 km/h (124 mph) and high waves to 51 departments as the storm continues.
The French aviation authority said air traffic has been suspended at Strasbourg and Basel-Mulhouse, both in eastern France, due to fierce winds.
Paris's Charles de Gaulle airport said 60 percent of outbound flights have been delayed.
The Eiffel Tower was also closed on Wednesday morning with gusts reaching 140 km/h (87 mph) at the top of the Iron Lady.
Several ski resorts were closed due to the risks posed by the storms, with warnings of a very high danger of avalanches.
France's national electricity provider EDF said some 200,000 households are without electricity across the country, including 30,000 in the Paris region.
The latest weather warning and strong winds come after winter Storm Carmen battered western France on Jan. 1, with some 40,000 households in the Brittany region temporarily losing power on Monday.
Related news releases
- 19.07.2018Armenian deputy PM: Problem in Upper Lars hinders export of goods
- 19.07.2018Turkey lifts two-year-old state of emergency
- 17.07.2018Obama warns against 'strongman politics' in speech after Trump news conference
- 16.07.20182 die in France during World Cup celebrations
- 16.07.2018Man ejected from room ahead of Trump-Putin press briefing
- 16.07.2018Mogherini: Summit of EU, EaP countries to be held October 15
- 16.07.2018Putin, Trump hold one-on-one meeting
- 16.07.2018Apartment sold in Bitcoin in Batumi
- 16.07.2018Putin-Trump summit gets underway in Helsinki - UPDATED
- 16.07.2018Mogherini: EU is planning to increase support to Eastern Partnership
- 15.07.2018Norway reconfirms commitment to NATO defense spending target
- 15.07.2018Georgian parliament expresses confidence in the renewed government
- 14.07.2018Putin, Erdogan discuss joint steps in Syria
- 14.07.2018Turkish, Russian presidents discuss TurkStream, Akkuyu project over the phone - UPDATED
- 14.07.2018Opposition party members dump coffin outside Georgian parliament
- 14.07.2018Forest fire in Georgia’s Svaneti extinguished
- 14.07.2018Malta rebuffs Italy, says not responsible for migrant boat
- 14.07.2018Word 'Russia' goes unspoken as Mattis meets Balkan defense chiefs
- 13.07.2018Tens of thousands march through London in anti-Trump protests
- 12.07.2018Turkey: Binali Yildirim elected parliament speaker
- 12.07.2018Trump says he will raise election meddling with Putin at summit
- 12.07.2018Trump says NATO allies agreed to boost defense spending after his pressure
- 12.07.2018Helicopter crashes in Georgia, 5 people injured
- 12.07.2018SG Stoltenberg: NATO’s door remains open for Georgia
- 12.07.2018Czech government wins confidence vote in Parliament
- 12.07.2018NATO formally invites Macedonia to join alliance
- 12.07.2018Putin, Netanyahu meet in Moscow
- 12.07.2018Turkish airstrikes ‘neutralize’ 17 terrorists
- 11.07.2018NATO allies vow to meet spending targets after Trump criticism
- 11.07.2018Georgia names new prosecutor general
- 11.07.2018George Tsereteli elected OSCE PA president
- 11.07.2018EU appoints new ambassador to Georgia
- 11.07.2018Trump lashes out at Germany as ‘captive of Russia’
- 11.07.2018French military helicopter crashes in Abidjan
- 11.07.2018Britain to double Western Balkans funding, security staff
- 10.07.2018Putin, Netanyahu to mull Israel-Palestine issue, Syrian conflict
- 10.07.2018Turkish President Erdogan unveils 16-minister cabinet
- 09.07.2018Boris Johnson quits to add to pressure on May over Brexit
- 08.07.2018An American family, who promoted Azerbaijan carpet weaving, dies in Georgia
- 08.07.2018UK police officer allegedly exposed to nerve agent poisoning
- 04.01.2018Thieves steal sheikh's Indian jewels from display in Venice
- 04.01.2018Turkey sees EU membership as 'strategic aim'
- 05.01.2018Mikheil Saakashvili sentenced to 3 years in jail in absentia
- 03.01.2018Eiffel Tower closed to visitors over Storm Eleanor
- 03.01.2018Moldova’s speaker to sign decrees on ministers’ appointments instead of president
- 02.01.2018Sweden defies US, NATO threats on UN nuclear ban treaty